Development Director (Full-time)
Scarecrow Video seeks a Development Director to plan, direct and grow its fundraising efforts in close collaboration with a small development team as well as the Board of Directors. Scarecrow Video is a non-profit dedicated to the stewardship of a world-renowned video collection that exceeds 130,000 titles housed in our Seattle location. The unique collection represents the deep wells of our cultural history —spanning over 125 years of film history, and representing 129 countries and over 126 different languages—a collection that is unparalleled in its diversity, scope, and accessibility. We offer low cost video rentals, free screening opportunities, resources to local filmmakers, and education opportunities both at our location and in the community.
The Development Director position offers an excellent opportunity for a mid-career development professional interested in assuming a leadership role, and with a desire to build significant capacity in a small (~$1 Million annual budget) organization. The ideal candidate will have deep roots in the community, be willing to invest deeply in this nascent development program, and help guide the organization to its fullest potential.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director is a full-time position charged with overseeing and growing Scarecrow Video’s contributed income program. The program secures gifts through membership, on-site donations, and grants, with a need to significantly grow support through major gifts and sponsorships.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement new strategies for expanding the individual giving program including designing, planning, and coordinating annual appeals and stewardship events.
- Develop and implement a major gifts program that would include identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individuals capable of donating $10,000+.
- Develop and implement new strategies for corporate sponsorships and foundation and government grants.
- Plan, budget, and execute an annual fundraiser.
- Oversee the management of relationships and communications with donors, members, and strategic partners.
- Manage and mentor the Development Assistant.
- Advanced degree preferred; Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum five years, broad-based fund development experience.
- Demonstrated ability in leading a successful fundraising campaign.
- Prior demonstrated grant writing success.
- Proven track record of developing and sustaining successful relationships with major donors and corporate executives.
- Prior experience organizing and executing major events is extremely helpful.
- Strong collaboration skills.
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to manage short term and long-term plans and goals.
- Proficient and experienced with Microsoft Office applications; including Word, Excel, Access and Outlook.
- Knowledge of Seattle donor base and philanthropic community.
- Experience in a small and/or fledgling non-profit environment extremely helpful.
- Ability to adapt successfully to multiple tasks that occur in a rapidly changing environment.
- Highly energetic and self-motivated; ability to work as an individual or as a team.
- Comfortable working in a small office environment.
What Scarecrow Video has to offer:
- Being a part of designing and executing a development program.
- Opportunity to work in an informal workplace with a smart, dedicated, and passionate team.
- Opportunity to meet and work with interesting people from local and national film communities.
- Being a part of an exciting, innovative time in the physical media sector of the film industry.
- Full-time position with flexible hours and work/life balance.
- Compensation: $50,000 to $60,000 DOE, with substantial room to grow
- Benefits include: vacation and sick pay.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, a professional writing sample, and at least two references to email@example.com.
Position is open until filled.